Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Rise of Fun.





I'm one of those kids who always claims "I liked your favorite band before they were famous." On occasion, it's true. One of my favorite bands is becoming popular, with the release of their new album Some Nights coming out today. What really helped to get them notice was their first single from this album, We Are Young, which has appeared on Glee, as well as in Superbowl car commercials. I'm very proud of them, but at the same time I don't want them to be sellouts, and I definitely don't want little teeny boppers at their concerts. 

I first discovered Fun last summer, when they opened for Panic! at the Disco's Vices and Virtues tour. When I first heard them, I had no idea who they were. I did, however, recognize the main singer's voice. That man is Nate Ruess, formerly of The Format. The Format was a super indie hipster band, that was together for 9 years, and didn't really make it big on the mainstream, but I loved all of their music, thanks to the musical education I received from my older step sister. When they broke up, I was very upset about it. Probably too much so. But when I was standing in the House of Blues crowd listening to him on stage once again, I suddenly had hope. The songs were all great, and they've been on my regular everyday playlists since. 

When I heard their song on Glee, I almost cried. And then when I heard their song in a car commercial, I may have flung around the word "sell-outs," a couple of times. I've since come to terms that they are just too good to be oppressed, and I guess they really do deserve to make some money off their talents. 

Please listen to the album! It's only $9 on iTunes, and every single song is so upbeat and motivational, and well, fun. I can't wait to see them on tour again!



No comments:

Post a Comment